Eagle’s nest embraces new social media TikTok craze

Janiya Lewis

Focusing on her moves, Junior Amonie Blackwell records herself doing a TikTok dance on her phone during her lunch. Blackwell said she decided to download the app because she wanted to join the hype that was circulated around it. “I love using TikTok because it’s fun. I also love the challenge of learning a new trend, such as the Renegade dance,” Blackwell said.

Janiya Lewis, Editor in Chief

TikTok, which was formerly known as Musical.ly, is a free video service that made its debut on App stores in 2017 for iOS and Android markets.

The App has gained tremendously popularity and captured the attention of GW students with its great features and endless entertainment. Students boast TikTok as their most used App whenever they have down time or need a break from doing homework.

TikTok allows users to create a short video of themselves, which often features music in the background. The dances are what attracts students most because they are easy to learn. The most popular one, with millions of remakes from people worldwide is the Renegade dance.

On the ‘For You’ page, a feed of videos that are recommended to users based on what type of content the user likes, students get to discover countless dance crazes that they can share with others.

TikTok has proven to attract the younger generation, as 41 percent of its users are between the ages of 16 and 24. The platform has also helped share new music with this younger population as the videos include songs and display humor. Countless subscribers have created accounts and posted videos to gain views and likes, while some of them create an account just to enjoy the colorful content.

GW students that use the App on a regular basis said they recommend it to anyone that loves comedy videos, music, or making videos with a group of people.

“I found out about TikTok through social media,” Sophomore Jaylan Dickerson said. “I love all of the creative videos on there and I enjoy spending my time watching them.”