Students embrace rising, Grammy-winning artist

Jan

Listening to Roddy Ricch before cheerleading practice, Freshman Aniyah Tarpley relaxes after school in the cheer classroom. Tarpley said she started streaming his music to calm her nerves before she began a hard workout at practice. “I actually enjoyed his whole album, and it was better than what I had expected. Out of all the songs, my favorite one is 'The Box' because it’s the best,” Tarpley said.

Janiya Lewis, Editor in Chief

The American Grammy award-winning rapper Roddy Ricch has gained tremendous media attention from music listeners worldwide as his rise to mainstream fame has continued to have a positive impact on his career. 

His highly anticipated album named “Please Excuse Me For Being Antisocial” made its debut to the world on December 6, 2019. This was marked as Roddy Ricch’s first album since he had only released mixtapes before finally launching an LP. Many fans were quick to download the album upon its release and music lovers grew to admired it. Atlantic Records released it on many streaming services such as Apple Music and Spotify.

The album consists of 15 tracks, including features from A Boogie Wit da Hoodie, Lil Durk, Mustard, Ty Dolla Sign, and Meek Mill. Listeners said these artists complement the album well with their creative verses adding a huge factor to the shared success of the musical compositions. The most popular songs from his LP are ‘The Box,’ ‘High Fashion,’ and ‘Start Wit Me.’ 

His hit song ‘The Box’ is well-known after being featured on numerous Tik Tok videos and being number 1 on several US Billboard charts. Roddy Ricch is often heavily complimented on his writing abilities because of his lyricism throughout the song and his other verses on his other songs. 

The most noticeable and important feature of the song is the eerie unknown screeching sound that occurs before the chorus starts. After ‘The Box’ had become popular among people of all ages, it was revealed to the world that the weird sound at the beginning of the song is actually the sound of a creaking door. 

‘Please Excuse Me For Being Antisocial’ has done extremely well since its release, reaching to number 1 on the US Billboard 200 and also the US Rolling Stone Top 200 charts. It started to proficiently benefit from its singles as the year of 2019 was about to end when the album was released. Luckily, the year of 2020 has been a good year for the LP because it has yet to decrease in popularity.

Media critics gave the album positive reviews, although some had mixed feelings about the project. NME, a review site, posted that the content was a little bit generic and gave the album 3 out of 5 stars.

Still, a poll of GW students showed that the artist is well liked and admired because of his remarkable talent. All of the songs are known to get teens in hype moods because of the outstanding beats and wavy lyrics. Roddy Rich has put a great deal of work into his music and it shows more and more as he continues to create it. This album is highly recommended by students to anyone who has not listened to it yet or who is looking for something new to listen to.