Eagles earn second place at Holiday Classic

The men's basketball team beat Faith Christian School and Dan River High School, but fell to Green Run High School in the final match-up.

Courtesy of the Danville Register & Bee

Dodging a block from the opposing team, Senior Brad Price strives to earn points to further the Eagles’ score against the Dan River Wildcats. After losing to the Wildcats during the regular season, the Eagles nabbed a victory 63-45 on Dec. 27, advancing the team to the next round of the tournament. “Beating Dan River was a big deal for us because it was important to win against them in our own school,” Price said.

Janiya Lewis, Editor in Chief

The Harry Johnson Holiday Classic basketball tournament took place at GWHS on Dec. 26-28. In 2016 and 2018 a holiday shootout did not occur for the city residents to enjoy due to numerous circumstances. Mayor Alonzo Jones gathered financial support from organizations throughout the Danville community in support of the 2019 tournament, with 15 sponsors contributing to the event.

Both the GW men and women’s teams participated, with the women scheduled to play at 11 a.m. on Thursday and Friday morning and the men scheduled at 8 p.m. on all 3 days.

On Dec. 26, the women battled Magna Vista High School, with the Warriors taking the victory against the Eagles 26-54. The Lady Eagles lost again Dec. 27 against Faith Christian School, their second and final loss.

“It was weird playing in the morning because I’m not really a morning person,” Senior Da’Mya Baize said. “But because we lost both games, it made us play harder once we came back for the first game of 2020.”

Although there were less people than expected in attendance at the Thursday night game, the event sold out on the Friday and Saturday evening men’s games.

The Eagles played Faith Christian School on Dec. 26 and won 76-20, but their most anticipated battle occurred Dec. 27 when the team faced off against the Dan River Wildcats. This was viewed as a rematch between the two teams after the Wildcats dominated the Eagles in an earlier regular season game, causing fans to debate whether or not GW would be capable of making a comeback. After the tense 4 quarters were over, GW had won 63-45.

“It felt great to beat Dan River in front of so many people,” Junior Justin Bethel said. “Many of my friends are on that team, and now I get to brag about our accomplishment.”

Advancing to the last round of the tournament, the Eagles’ final opponent was 5A Green Run High School from Virginia Beach. The Eagles were defeated by the Stallions 47-71.

“Going up against a good team like Green Run was a challenge,” Junior Isaiah Pritchett said. “It pushed us to work harder for the rest of our season and trust each other.”

The overall results from the tournament earned Green Run High School first place, GW second place, and Dan River High School third place.