Eagles kick off basketball season with men’s, women’s scrimmages

The j.v. and varsity women's teams faced Park View High School while the j.v. and varsity men's teams faced Patrick Henry High.

Rayven Alestock

Eyeing the goal above him, Sophomore Xavier Walters gains possession of the ball as his opponent uses his defense skills to stop him. For their first scrimmage, the junior varsity and varsity basketball teams battled the Patrick Henry High School Patriots on Nov. 21. “I feel like we are going to do a lot of great things this season,” Walters said.

Janiya Lewis, Editor in Chief

The men’s and women’s basketball teams held back to back scrimmages a day apart last week to kick off the season for both teams.

The women’s team held the first scrimmage Nov. 20 when they played against Park View High School. While the JV team ran on a regular four quarter game, the varsity team had to play for five quarters.

“I’m looking for improvement in myself as we go through the season,” Senior NyAsia Lanier said. “What I would really like to do is to make progress on my leadership skills.”

Newly chosen team members for the 2019-2020 women’s junior varsity team are Jykera Barksdale, Takyia Benjamin, Ayauna Culley, Tantiyani Davis, Joei Edmonds, Kahzyia Gabriel-Dobbins, Shanice Glass, Micheala Gregory, Takiyah Harris, Naideea Jones, Deanna Macklin, Ariyana Murphy, Ciara Myers, Makayla Royster, Anautica Stewart, and Iyana Talley.

Team members for the women’s varsity team are Damiehja Darden, Emania Moore, Amonie Blackwell, DeAnna Saunders, DaiZuane Giggetts, Mackenzie Miller, Zion Johnson, Curtasja Brooks, Nyasia Lanier, Aniya Davis, Da’Mya Baize, J’Shanti White, Lanadia Tarpley, and Rontasia Perkins.

The men’s team held the second scrimmage Nov. 21 when the Eagles battled Patrick Henry High School, their first time going head-to-head with another team since winning the state championship the previous season.

“I cannot wait for the official games to start,” Senior Kapone Barley said. “But the scrimmages are a great way to see where the team is when it comes to our weaknesses, and it gives us a look at how the season may be.”

Though the varsity team did not play for five consecutive quarters like the women’s, they played hard and strong for the regular four quarters with their remaining team players as both the junior varsity and varsity team have to wait for the official team to be chosen, since the football players still have to try out to complete the roster.

The first official season opener for the women’s team is Dec. 2 against Carroll County High School, and the opener for the men’s team is Dec. 4 against Heritage High School.