Jersey Mike’s opens in Danville

Brianna Simpson

The new red Jersey Mike’s sign hangs above the entrance door of the restaurant, signifying the grand opening Nov. 6. The sandwich shop can be found at Holt Garrison Parkway Suite across from Old Navy and Marshalls, between AT&T and Wood’s Menswear.

Brianna Simpson, Staff Writer

New to the city of Danville, the American submarine sandwich chain Jersey Mike’s made its debut with a grand opening Nov. 6. Located in Holt Garrison Parkway Suite, this location has been added to the more than 2,000 other Jersey Mike’s restaurants across the U.S., and also added to the list of sandwich places that make their home across the city, competing with well-known restaurants such as Subway and Firehouse Subs.

Jersey Mike’s sells a variety of hot and cold subs, with the most popular sub, according to its website, being the turkey and provolone. Their subs can be ordered in one of three sizes: mini, regular, and giant, with 14 choices of cold and 12 choices of hot subs available. Any sandwich can also be made into a wrap for the same price as the regular sub.

While subs are not new to Danville, a new eatery means new jobs, with several GW students filling out applications and being granted interviews at the location before the grand opening.

“I would recommend this job to anyone that has patience,” Junior Niya Mebane said. “There are so many people working at once, and it could get very irritating. But other than that minor issue, I enjoy working there.”

Mebane said it is not hard for teens to balance part-time employment and homework because many businesses offer flexible schedules, working around their academic and extracurricular commitments.

“I like having a job at 16,” Junior Jerniya Washington said. “I earn my own money and get to buy whatever I want with it instead of asking my mother for some.”

Not only has Jersey Mike’s excited teens looking for work, it has also excited others that went by just to try the new taste in the city, with patrons watching the employees prepare the food right as they order, living up to its motto as “the most authentic tasting sandwich available.”

The restaurant opens each day from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Orders can be placed in store, online, and on the restaurant’s app.