Eagles nab win for Homecoming

Tyler McDuffie and Brianna Simpson were named the 2019 Homecoming King and Queen

Seniors+Tyler+McDuffie+and+Brianna+Simpson+pose+for+a+picture+after+being+crowned+king+and+queen+of+the+2019+Homecoming+Court+on+Oct.+18.+The+halftime+honor+was+McDuffie%27s+first+highlight+of+the+night%3B+his+second+was+helping+his+varsity+team+mates+beat+the+Comets+62-27.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Eagles nab win for Homecoming

Seniors Tyler McDuffie and Brianna Simpson pose for a picture after being crowned king and queen of the 2019 Homecoming Court on Oct. 18. The halftime honor was McDuffie's first highlight of the night; his second was helping his varsity team mates beat the Comets 62-27.

After a full week of the students and faculty showing school spirit by participating in the festive spirit days, the Homecoming game finally arrived on the night of Oct. 18.

It was a night of excitement for current students and held a spark of nostalgia for graduates of GW as many traveled to see classmates from the past and celebrate a visit home to Eagle Country.

Both teams entered the match-up with 2-0 Piedmont District standings but GW successfully claimed victory over the Halifax County Comets, 62-27 leaving the Eagles with a 5-0 overall record.

“This game wasn’t any pressure,” Senior Shawn Watlington said. “It was different than last year because this is my senior year, and it was important for us to win. The students had really supported us throughout the week and on Spirit Day. The school coming together to support us on a major day was amazing.”

Tyler McDuffie, offensive tackle for the varsity Eagles and Brianna Simpson were named Homecoming king and queen for the evening, donned with crowns and honors from the Class of 2020.

“I was very relieved to hear my name announced as Homecoming Queen,” Simpson said. “I was literally holding my heart while I was on the field. This was what I really wanted for my senior year, and this win is more significant for me because I only got a sash when I won freshman and sophomore homecoming court. I finally have my crown, and my goal has been accomplished.”

Other seniors nominated for homecoming court were Darius Goods, Ethan Stephans, and Jaden Watkins for king and NyAsia Lanier, DaiZuane’ Giggetts, and Shakya Medley for queen.

Underclassmen representatives were Steve Hopkins and Nakeyla Moore for the freshman class, Essence Palmer and Tahj Carter for the sophomore class, and Shakobe Hairston and Zipporahia Wilson for the junior class.

“It was surprising to be a part of the court for my junior year,” Wilson said. “I honestly didn’t know I was going to win. This experience was astonishing and amazing, and I hope to be in the running for queen my senior year.”