Volleyball team starts season strong

Luke McGeough

Athena Bass, 12, prepares to serve the ball against Chatham High School Aug. 27. The varsity team went 0-3 with the Chatham Cavaliers, but played with effort and strength. “This is my fourth year playing for this team, and I love it and the sport,” Bass said.

Caitlin Towler, Staff Writer

It’s no secret that your last year of high school is memorable, prom, homecoming and then commencement. The same goes for the senior members of the volleyball team, who are playing their best for their last season before starting a new chapter in their lives.
In reflection of previous years of volleyball, Senior Aania Price said there is a lot she wishes she had known before her first season.
“Stop beating down on yourself, don’t degrade yourself, and be confident,” Price advised the younger players.
Six members of the Class of 2019 make up the Lady Eagles including Price, Hannah Anderson, Athena Bass, Chelsea Harvey, Omni Hubbard, and Aisha Jones. Joining with them to form the 2018-2019 team are Juniors Nakiyah Echols and Daizuane Giggetts and Sophomore Kiara Anderson, to build on last year’s season.
Hubbard said her biggest challenge for her last year has been trying to find time for everything.
“Trying to balance the time between work, school, and the team has been tough,” Hubbard said. A lot of time management is involved.”
Still, being a senior has its perks, one advantage being more playing time and being recognized at Senior Night.
“Senior Night is where your parents can come and they walk you up before the game starts and you are recognized,” Harvey said, excited that it is finally her senior year.
Anderson joins her in excitement, also celebrating her fourth year on the Lady Eagles team, calling her final year bittersweet.
“It feels really sad that I have to leave everyone, because we have all grown to be a family,” Anderson said with a sad smile. “I’m just going to miss everybody.”
Jones invited underclassmen interested in joining the team to tryout for junior varsity, hoping to see the team grow in their absence next year.
“Make sure you have a positive attitude and that you can work well with your teammates,” Jones said. “Teamwork makes all the difference.”